Saturday, January 18, 2014

Famous Oatmeal Cookies (Pinterest/Childhood)

When my dad was adjusting to working from home he would get a wild hair and decide to reorganize the kitchen. Which was odd considering he didn't make meals... well on a rare occasion he could, when needed, whip up tuna fish sandwiches, breakfast for dinner, hamburgers & home made french fries.
During one of these moments he, for some crazy reason, through out an old quaker oat tin. This tin had the following recipe. My mom and I were distraught and upset, and couldn't find a similar recipe for a long time (I think after some time we forgot about it). But then because Pinterest is amazing we have the recipe again!!! 





QUAKER OATMEAL COOKIES
3/4 cup shortening 
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1.4 cup water
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
3 cup rolled oats (NOT QUICK!!!)
Raisins - optional, I add until I think there are enough to my liking. 

Large bowl: beat shortening, both sugars, egg,  water, & vanilla until creamy. Beat in flour, salt, & baking soda until dough is smooth. Fold in oatmeal & raisins (if desired). Drop by heaping tsp 2" apart. Bake at 350 for 12-15 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool for 2 minutes, then transfer to wire rack. Store in air tight container. 

SIDE NOTE: 
I only make a few at a time and freeze or refridgerate the dough. After a few days the cookies can get a little soggy.

SIDE SIDE NOTE: 
Not only has my father been forgiven for throwing out the old tin, but he has branched out from his 3 meal staples that I had as a child. A few years ago my mother told him that she did the cooking for the first half of their marriage and it was now his turn, and rightly so. I don't know how he took this at the time, but for the last 2 years or so, he has flourished. He is a chef in his own right, buying the fancy tools he needs, watching America's Test Kitchen, checking cookbooks out of the library and trying new things frequently. He is killing it in the dinner making game. He is pretty much amazing in my book. 









No comments:

Post a Comment