Sunday, January 26, 2014

Coffee Cake

I love a simple yet easy thing to make for breakfast for my work week. I make this on Sunday and bring a piece to work every morning. (I cut the cake into thirds and so there are 4 pieces to have as a treat/snack, or I will pack an extra piece for my husband and/or work friends, just so that the rest of the cake doesn't go to waste.)

 Cake batter

 Before being baked

The end result

I know there isn't much difference from before and after baking, but the topping gets more brown and crunchy/crumbly.

COFFEE CAKE:
1 1/2 cup flour
3/4 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup oil
1 beaten egg
1/2 cup milk

Preheat over to 375. In a small bowl mix flour, sugar, baking powder, & salt. In medium bowl combine oil, egg, & milk. Add dry ingredients to milk mixture & mix well. Pour into greased 9x9 or 8x8 pan. Sprinkle with spicy topping. Bake for 25 minutes. 
SPICY TOPPPING:
1/2 cup brown sugar 
2 TBSP flour
1 tsp cinnamon 
Combine and add:
1 TBSP butter

SIDE NOTE: 
I use a fork to combine the spicy topping mix, I think it helps get it to the crumbly stage faster.

No comments:

Post a Comment