Saturday, March 23, 2013

Thin Mints? (Pinterest)

It's the time of year for those cute little girls with boxes of cookie goodness to find you and rip you off.
 
Don't get me wrong I don't have an issue paying for something I like, but last year my Husband and I bought a case of thin mints and I was pretty sad to see that the amount of cookies was much smaller from previous years. So being my frugal self I figured I would try to replicate them.
 
So I found a simple recipe that was easy and would be good. While I was right on both counts they didn't taste like thin mints, more like a york peppermint patty cookie. So it was a miss on what it was supposed to be, but a surprise hit in another way.
 
It might be weird to think of using a Ritz cracker, but I have a great recipe for mock toffee that uses saltines and you can't even taste it because all the other flavors take over the cracker flavor.
 
I am pretty obsessed with containers of any kind and labeling... How cute is my chocolate chip jar!!!
 
 
So it was just 4 ingredients. Ritz crackers, semisweet chocolate chips, shortening and peppermint extract. Easy Peasy!
 
York Peppermint Cookies ... formerly Thin Mints
18 Ritz Crackers
1 c. semi sweet chocolate chips
1 TBSP shortening (this is just to make the chocolate smooth)
3/4 tsp peppermint extract
 
Melt the chocolate and shortening, stir in extract (and don't spill the bottle 3 different times like I did, I very clumsy) Dip the crackers and place on wax paper.
 

They are yummy! ENJOY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment