Saturday, March 23, 2013

Coconut Scrub/Bars (Pinterest)

 So I have been hearing and seeing all kinds of things about coconut oil. So I decided to try a scrub and I learned something interesting along the way.
 
All you need is sugar, coconut oil and a container. (at least I thought so ... more on the container later)
I bought the coconut oil at Wal-Mart for $6.
 
 I got everything ready and then I opened the coconut oil to pour into a measuring cup.
 
Well ... to my surprise coconut oil is solid! I had no idea! So I proceeded to scrape the oil out into my measuring cup and melt it in the microwave.  
 
After it melted I put any excess back into the jar, and then poured into a container with the sugar.  
While I was mixing the oil and sugar together I realized that the sugar won't stop the oil from hardening.  
 
Thankfully because of my list of things I needed to purchase for all of my pinterest creations, and a great sale at Jo-ann's I bought this silicone dish/pan/tray thing for half off!!! (I'll be using it later for solid lotion bars)
 
I layed it out and scooped out the mix (I would stir the mix in the container each time, just so that one 'starburst' didn't have more oil or sugar than another) The mix filled all the starbursts perfectly!
 
 
I think that I know what I'll be doing for Christmas gifts already!
 
 
 
Coconut Scrub
1/2 c. sugar
1/4 c. coconut oil
 
SIDE NOTE: While I haven't tried it, other than the little bit leftover from the container, (while the oil was still warm) I bet these will be great in a warm shower! Just don't forget to wipe the tub/floor down so it isn't slick with the oil. 

No comments:

Post a Comment